Tuesday, February 13, 2007

McDonald's Field Trip - Respond Under this post

Memory is about choice.

The act of it should be precise, like cutting the tip of your thumb with a pocketknife and saying “Remember this!”

The redder it is, the better you remember. The trick to remembering is finding the emergency in any situation, to look past the window as clear as a stream, to see the war outside, to see the signs of the picketers outside as crude weapons, pieces of wood with nails that say “No” to the Starbucks. They don’t want the Starbucks here that’s been built beside the McDonald’s Restaurant where I sit.

There is blood there: the signs lettering written with bold red markers.

On the surface, nothing seems to happen here. And if I wanted it to be so, that’s all I would remember: nothing.

My mind would be as clean as this McDonald’s Restaurant—like we imagine heaven might be. I would remember nothing if I only sat waiting for something to happen.

Someone decides to do something—I admit I wasn’t paying strict attention. One of my creative nonfiction students, Elizabeth, and perhaps another gets up and goes to the nostalgic jukebox that sits next to the wall behind us. It doesn’t work. Nothing.

Nothing moves like a glacier. The greatest emergency no one sees, bowdlerizing everything in its path. That is what the picketers outside are afraid of, but they can’t see that the movement has begun. The franchise, like a juggernaut moves eastward, toward China.

I see that my students in this creative nonfiction class are bunched together—defending themselves from barbarians: the woman with her hair shorn like a field of milkweed, the Mafioso with black leather jackets and slick hair. The Spanish girl saying “queso … mesa.”

I realize that soon my students will all be dead. Killed—bored to death. So I say, why don’t you go sit there or there or there. They say they are scared.

So I stand. I decide to look for emergences, conflict. I ask the girl at the counter how much for a cup of water. “Twenty-five cents,” she says. She reads the expression on my face. It says, ‘for a cup of water?’ Her face says ‘ridiculous ain’t it.’

She hands me a cup and whispers “Don’t worry about it.”

We are conspirators.

After I’ve gotten my ice water, I sit near a door away from the students behind a couple. I notice the man has a bad rash under his beard. He bites into a cow’s fetus, belly, cysts, cancers. I shake my head.

They know just what to do—to get people here. They give the children dolls. They put them on the walls. It’s a way of hiding the dangerous things here.

Listening to the monotonous voices, I concentrate on this moment. Then I see it. Hierarchy. Race. Gender. Ageism. Those who come in direct contact with customers are both young, female and white: the one at the drive-thru window, dressed in a clean t-shirt, the one at the register that gave me the water.

The ones in the back, the ones that sweep and wipe and clean, are all, as we have been taught to say, African-Americans.

A woman pulls an old blue Chevy up to the curb right outside the window where I sit next to the door. She waits for her order. She waits and waits. Finally she has had enough, she gets out of the car, slams the car door and throws open the door to the restaurant. Her mouth is poked out, her infected black mouth, her face is paper thin white. I think she’s been putting up with indignities all her life.

She walks in her heels stomping the floor. She’s angry but restrained. She says where’s her order. She’s been waiting for a long time.

“Oh, I’m sorry miss,” says one of the workers. Someone else gets the woman’s bag and hands it to her. “We apologize for your wait,” she says. The woman takes the bag, stomps back out, gets into her car and drives away.

There are other emergencies. A lost purse. A woman blocking the drive-thru, the angry young woman behind her who shakes her head. The man with the rolling pink stomach who doesn’t have long to live.

The next day, in class, Eric says, "Can we go somewhere more interesting on our next field trip. Nothing happened there."

8 comments:

Kennon Barton said...

I walk into a McDonald’s, starving, waiting for class. Today the assignment is to observe the restaurant. After reading the door to see whether or not it is a push or pull, I smile and pull as I see a family walking straight toward me. There’s something about opening a door for someone that always makes me feel good inside. Maybe it’s the thought that my kindness will be contagious; a shared smile and the chance to show that some people still care about being polite and kind to complete strangers without being monetarily rewarded for it.

“Hi, Welcome to McDonald’s. ” I hear from a dry voice holding a broom.

No one from the class is here yet. I wonder for a second about whether the store’s emptiness is by chance or by the means of another Kennon brain-fart. It wouldn’t be the first time I completely missed the directions for an assignment while actually paying attention. It’s cool though. A couple of the students are finally walking in. Perfect timing too, my food is ready: a #11, large, with a bottled water. Yes, a bottled water. I have to feel good about SOMETHING on this tray.

I find a seat facing the front window of the restaurant and slide in. So hungry. I dump out the fries, add salt without tasting them, and set up the stack of nuggets. Did I even look at the menu? I don’t think I did. I mean, isn’t this what I get at every McDonald’s; every single McDonald’s I’ve ever been to? And then it hits me. Familiarity! That’s why I go to McDonald’s. That’s why I stop at McDonald’s in Hattiesburg, Murfreesboro, Jackson, Gulfport, Biloxi, New Orleans, Orlando, and Mobile. Just in Mobile alone, I live 2 miles from McRestaurants in three different directions. Come to think of it, there are ONLY three ways to leave from the front entrance/exit of my apartment. Good Lord! Have they taken over?

I glance out of the front window to catch my first glimpse of a sign. It must be an advertisement. College kids will do anything for money. I should know. I stand up to throw what’s left of my meal in the trashcan. Somehow, I manage to touch the part of the swinging door that has ketchup on it. Crap! I do that every time. Right on the knuckle! I wipe my hands and look up to see that there are people everywhere holding signs down the stretch of road in front of the McDonald’s. I must have missed them because I came in through the back of the parking lot. They’re picketing Starbucks. They’re picketing Starbucks? What in the world? I walk outside to take pictures with the camera on my cell phone. The one sign in my immediate vision is a failed attempt at seeming clever and witty. Star wars? Come one buddy, you could have done better than that.

Out of all of the signs, my favorite one has to be “Support your local economy!!!” Wow. I don’t guess she realizes the people that work at this Starbucks probably spend all of their money right here in Mobile. There’s also a wide variety of different specific taxes coming straight off the top of Starbucks’ profit that goes toward bridges, roads, and schools in Mobile city and county. The actual owner of the Starbucks itself is probably from Mobile. All you have to do to own a franchise is pay the mother corporation for the name, then send them a small percentage of the profit at the end of the year. The same gross profit is used to figure the percentages for both the taxes and the mother corp., so how is this place not supporting the local economy MORE by offering a service that is more widely accepted and recognizable. Once you’ve paid into the franchise, they hook you up with the distributor who carries the right flavors, cups, and uniform straws, then all you have to do is follow their guidelines for making every customer feel that they are walking into the same Starbucks that they have been previously familiarized with. Familiarity.

Maybe these signs should read, “We don’t like those colors” or “The last Crappuccino I had tasted like cap” or even “My ex-boyfriend works there and he licks the straws”. Something more personal that might actually be true. It’s the people who drink Starbucks everywhere vs. the people who decided to try Dr. Java, because it was closer to the school than the Starbucks already on Airport Blvd. At first they blamed it on the gas prices, but then they realized this place had all of the same drinks with different names. Maybe they just don’t like the idea of a franchise in general. If Dr. Java expanded throughout college towns in the Southeastern region of the United States, would they boycott it? Maybe the owners are trying to move in that direction and these people are oblivious.

The main thing I find ironic is that they are lined up and down a street covered in fast food signs. The whole city is. But they picked Starbucks. A Starbucks built right next to a McDonald’s, Subway, and Hardee’s. That’s completely absurd. All of these other places are major corporations. I walk over to take some pictures of an artist's rendition of one of the original McDonald’s. Didn’t all of these businesses start just like Dr. Java? McDonald’s wasn’t even a franchise until the McDonald brothers sold out to Ray Kroc. He’s the one who started all of this madness. Shouldn’t they be angrier with that? “Support the deceased McDonald’s brothers”. They could even yell, “BOY COTT, RAY KROC.” There must be some dying mom and pop burger joint around here somewhere.

Our class finishes up and we start to walk out of the door. Because of my rebellious tendencies, I can’t help but juggle the idea of walking straight over to the Starbucks and getting the drink I am most familiar with there: a Caramel Frappuccino. I take one last look at the picketers with their signs and I can’t help but laugh. Pick your fights Kennon, you don’t even like coffee unless it tastes like ice cream. Maybe that’s the true lesson of the day. Maybe we should all just choose our fights more carefully.

Jennifer said...

McDonald's is a strange and also familiar place. I missed the field trip with the class, and I have to force myself to sit here and people watch alone.

It's mid-afternoon, right after the "lunch rush". The workers move slow, but then speed up every once in a while to keep the customers happy. They look tired and unenthusiastic as I hear them ask that familiar question, "Hi, welcome to McDonald's, can I take your order?"

Oh the sweet smell of fast food. I can feel my arteries clogging as we speak and I haven't even had anything to eat yet.

I survey my surroundings, looking for something interesting to write about. It's a Saturday, so things are a little slow. Yesterday, was the Starbucks protest, if I had been here I could have written about that. As I look outside now though, I see nothing but cars and a shopping complex.

A small child is crying in the line, she wants a different toy from the one thats being advertised. The mother is trying to appease the little girl, but nothing is working. Finally an ice cream cone and another toy from the back get the screaming tantrum to stop.

I check my watch, I've been here an hour. Nothing interesting to really write about. I look at my notes and hope that I can pull something together to post. I gather my things and head towards the door. I take a deep breath as I walk outside, and the air is refreshing. I get in the car and I leave to go home to gather my thoughts.

A. said...

“We're being watched,” Dr. Alford says. I turn to look behind me, where a blond girl sits with her arms crossed, looking daringly in our direction. “Don't look!” Dr. Alford says suddenly, ducking and laughing as if I'm in trouble. But I do look again.

I know that girl.

Her boyfriend, Daniel, a lanky kid a few years younger than me, sits next to her and they eat and mingle. I've never known the girls name, but everyone calls her “The Ogre.”

She and Daniel have been together for years, and when he wasn't dating my good friend Mary Ella he went momentarily insane. At my sisters birthday dinner he called her to say that he was standing on Highway 90, in the pitch dark night, ready to fling himself into on coming traffic to end his miserable life without Mary Ella Hill.

But obviously, on the Friday afternoon in McDonald's he looked well. Of course he was well! He had called her months before to stir up trouble, and now the lot of us were enemies. If you asked me, at our New Years Eve party, as the couples kissed and Daniel placidly shook Mary Ella's hand, if it all would happen this way, I would of said no.

“Time” I thought to myself. “Time all over.”

Across the restaurant, after the Wurlitzer jute box had eaten a quarter, and more patrons filled the tables, my instructor sat by the window at another table, where visions of my past self sat. Out the windows protesters stood in support of local businesses, and at my long set of three tables, my classmates lounged, occasionally scribbling in their notebooks. I hear orders shouted from behind the counter, where a blase worker chews on gum.

A UPS worker, speaking loudly to a woman seated alone, points outside. “Protestin' that Starbucks eh?” and has to repeat himself because his mouth is full of food.

I have watched the protesters in intervals, and understood their drive at keeping up a businesses and a livelihood, but I am addicted to Starbucks and nostalgia. This inner conflict, paired with discussions of my fathers occupation, makes me sigh heavily. Are all big corporations in the wrong? Is my father wrong? I ask.

“But the sins of the father are not yours,” my very wise friend Geoffrey once said. I gaze around the room, where McDonald's branding lines the walls, cars flow in and out of the drive through and I play some part by buying their food. It's easier to be indifferent, I think to myself. Its easier to not care. I turn back in my seat, try to listen to a few conversations and leave questions hanging in the air.

Anonymous said...

McDonald’s
I walked into McDonald’s and looked first to my left and then in front of me for a place to sit. Not immediately satisfied with any of the choices, my gaze continued to my right. It was then I thought, “Wow, I didn’t realize this place was that big.” I took a few more steps and realized my mistake. It was mirrors that had deceived me. The restaurant was no bigger than I had anticipated; they just tricked me with those mirrors. I was irritated with myself for falling for their cheap manipulation tactics.
I finally decided on a seat that I thought would be ideal for knowing what was going on around me. I had a great view of the cashiers and the patrons who were ordering. The view of the section with those tricky mirrors was decent. I could see the main entrance very well to my right. I would be able to write a book about the things I observed once I was finished because I had picked the best seat.
The class trickled in one by one and we all sat near one another. I had already been there for ten minutes, I had not witnessed anything noteworthy as of yet. Boredom began to take its place, so I decided to engage in the conversation and get to know my classmates a little better.
For the next half-hour or so, the collection of topics for the talk was admirably eclectic. I heard stories about the perils of owning a convenience store and the rules that come with having a family member work for certain oil companies. Aaron’s story was hysterical, as usual. His mom was a hippie who refused to give up her hygiene. She was stood strong in the picket lines and the protests, but by God she was going to shave her legs and wear make-up so she could look good doing it. She even wore a bra.
My favorite story of the hour, by far, was the one about the doughnuts. Kennon and some of his buddies got together and bought several dozen doughnuts to sell as a fundraiser at the four-way stop in his small town. Apparently the four-way stop is the place to be if you want to get anything accomplished in mass quantities in this small town. As it turns out, he and his friends were known for mischief around the town, so they only sold a few boxes because everyone expected to contract some sort of disease if they ate one of those doughnuts. Because of the lack of patronage, this group of guys ended up eating doughnuts for a year and having to throw some of them away.
Though I did not observe much of the action or listen to any conversation that went on around me, I did enjoy talking to the people that I sat with. In fact, by the time I had to leave, my cheeks were aching a little from the laughter. Sometimes it is frustrating being slightly ADD and not being able to take notes or pay attention to anything around me, but I think that aching cheeks and good stories are all worth it.

Elizabeth said...

Billions and Billions Served


Guts mistaken for butts loom over dimpled thighs. A man’s jaw drops and grinds like a steer at the trough. His eyes peer up from a brown tray and lock on his companion. She is quiet and impervious to the saliva soaked crumbs jetting across the table as he speaks.

I wonder what she thinks as she looks at the man. Does she fear his death? At eighteen, did she ever think she would be here – sitting with a man four times her size, immune to the gulping and the chatter of a jam-packed mouth? I wonder what he was like in college. He could’ve been a Sigma Chi president or the treasurer for the SGA.

A group of four rises and departs from their table. Abandoned sesame seeds, grains of salt, and crumpled napkins litter their vacated meeting place. Will the next person to sit at that table be bothered by the previous diners’ lack of hygiene? Or will they simply set their tray on top of the debris and scarf down a Big Mac without a second thought?

The tables are cemented to the floor. The tiles stick to my shoe soles. Smashed fries ooze potato guts in the grout cracks. Funny… the employees wear anti-slip shoes. On the Coke shellacked floor, a seven-foot crippled woman could wear stilettos and still pass the Field Sobriety Test.

There’s a jukebox by the register, and Bose speakers in the ceiling -- probably because the ambiance of beeping fryers will not seduce you. One of my classmates lends me a quarter. I can think of nothing better on a Friday afternoon under the golden arches, than to listen to La Bamaba. But the quarter clinks in and no song blares out. What a waste of Bose speakers.

A grown man sitting in the corner uses his teeth to slide his straw in and out of its lid. It sounds like a bed frame in a cheap hotel. I bet he’s on his lunch break. He anxiously flips his wrist to check his watch with his knee jumping hysterically. When he cannot stand it anymore, he tosses his leftovers and heads out to his truck.

Every McDonald’s has framed, faded prints hanging on its walls. Vibrant indigos and radiant reds become nothing more than baby blue and pastel pink. You would think that since Ronald developed a rack of ribs without bones, then creating fade-proof wall hangings would be a piece of cake.

And so goes an afternoon at the world’s favorite restaurant. As for me, I think next time, I’ll get my diet Coke to go.

Anonymous said...

An elderly couple sits by the window. Their table looks exceptionally different from the others around them. There are no artery-clogging value meals or thick, fattening milkshakes. She has a happy meal: small drink, small fry and cheeseburger. He has a salad and small soda. The woman rattles on as the man listens patiently.
“I like her, too, but she’s only loyal to herself. When you’re talking about people working together as a team…she just can’t cooperate.”
“Mm-uh,” the man nods. They really someone is listening to their conversation and leave.

A young couple sits in the corner with their super-sized value meals. He is extremely small; short and thin. She is huge. She’s not fat, just big like an Amazon. The nursery rhyme “Jack Sprat” comes to mind. His t-shirt says “It’s All Good.” One wonders what, exactly, is all good.

Two girls come in, one with an extremely short skirt. She wears white tights to conceal what no one wants to see. The tights are sheer.

Two gentlemen on their lunch break sit against the front window. They wear blue work shirts, stained and dirty.

A group walks in; two middle aged women and a very elderly man. The man wears those cataract sunglasses, only they’re not cataract sunglasses. They’re just really large women’s glasses. The two women are severely overweight. Is that man their father?

Two girls sit in the far corner, speaking Spanish very quickly. They are completely oblivious to the rest of the restaurant. Their table manners are horrendous. They shove burgers into their mouths, along with handfuls of fries, and their cheeks expand to a level of gross engorgement. The whole episode is behind a thick curtain of Spanish.

Two middle-eastern guys get up to leave. They wear black leather jackets and have slicked back hair. Is there a middle-eastern mafia?

Two guys enter through the door the Mafia opened to leave. These guys look rough and ragged. Their sweatshirts hang on their thin bodies, and their faces look torn and bruised. Were they in a fight?

A woman storms in the door, infuriated. She’d been waiting on the corner for her drive-through meal, and it never came. Her lunch hour is ruined.

Another young couple takes a seat at the table vacated by the elderly man and woman. Their clothes are frumpy and they wear thick glasses. They look like the kind of people who are so smart, they don’t notice or care about anything to do with their appearance.

A man in a UPS work shirt sits at the table diagonal from the frumpy couple. He comments to them about the protestors in the street trying to bring down “the man” otherwise known as Starbucks.
“They’re taking over Mobile,” he says. The young couple doesn’t even acknowledge his presence. He’s a contradiction in the flesh. He worries that Starbucks will put the local coffee shops on of business, but he eats at McDonalds, not a local burger joint; he talks on his cell phone, not a ground line; he works for UPS and not the United States Postal Service.

McDonalds is a place in this country were one can see all walks of life. Though there is a plethora of different cultures, however, there is one glaringly obvious distinction; none of the cultures merge. Race sits with race, old sits with old and young with young, class sits with class, and all ignore each other.
Tony Kushner described the American situation best in his play Angels in America; “the melting pot were nothing melted.”

Cleshonda said...

Black asphalt surrounds a building where light illuminated into the darkness. Some cars are neatly parked between white lines, as others roll around to gain speedy service through the drive thru. I’ve been here enough times to know that the drive thru isn’t speedy, so I park my small white SUV in the closes space, exit the vehicle, and entered the doors of the Golden Arches.

As I walked to the counter I passed a little blond haired girl, who stood next to a brunette that looked like an older version of her; I assumed that was her mother. I smiled, the little girl smiled back. The cashier didn’t offer a smile like in the commercials, nor did it look like she wanted to see me smile like they suggest in their slogan. But I smiled any way. “May I help you?” She said with an attitude, my smile faded. I briefly looked at the menu before ordering. I want a number 1 with no onion pickles or cheese. My order rarely changes. She punched in my order, with just a much attitude and then folding her arms before asking, “Anything else?” I shook my head.

The blond haired little girl asked her mother with a smile, “She get a toy?”
“No Honey, grown-ups don’t get a toy with their meals.”
“But she gonna be sad, if she don’t get one.” She said with less joy in her voice.

Her mother didn’t respond. A different voice from behind the counter called out her order. The brunette retrieved their meals before they went to claim one of the empty tables near the play area.

I stood there watching and listening to the people that have now entered the building carrying the goodies that they received from the night’s Mardi Gras celebration.

My phone rings. I looked at the caller ID before neglecting to answer it, I’m here on assignment. I must finish this paper before the due date. My phone rings again. “Number one without onions, pickles or cheese… number one without onions, pickles or cheese.” the voice called out. She placed my order on the counter. I picked it up before silencing the ringing phone.
“Hello.”
“Hey baby.” He sweetly sung into the phone.
“I’m trying to finish this assignment.”
“I love you”
“Love you too”
I notice to older women sitting down eating dinner as they talked. My phone rings again. This time my boss is calling. I already know what she wants. I answer.
“Hello.”
“Mrs. West, I need you to come into work.”
“Mrs. Parker I have to finish my assignment.”
“I’m sorry, but you need to be into work within the next 15 minutes.”
“Ok Mrs. Parker.”
I walked out of the door of the golden arches, headed to a place where light don’t illuminate the parking lot; to a place where more people careless about seeing you smile.

The Professor said...

Paula Harris
Creative Nonfiction


Mc Donald’s 365 Days A Year

It is no secret that I enjoy alternative locations to have class. It sort of brings to mind the adventures of the children, who get to ride the magic bus, exploring, innocently observing things that the adults can no longer see. Would McDonald’s be like an adventure? Would there be things that had always been there that I never noticed? Would something out of the ordinary happen there, today? Not a chance! Maybe if we were visiting the McDonald’s downtown, the one on Government Street. This one would be frequented by bums able to afford a cup of coffee, city workers who become lunch breakers, and snooty men in shirts and ties who look like attorneys, who are possibly involved in defending some of the locally accused. But we are not going downtown; we will be visiting the one on Old Shell Rd., a street that is shared by Satori’s coffee shop, children’s boutiques, and other businesses, which seem to cater to a more elite version of Mobilians. What would be interesting about this particular McDonald’s? On occasion, I have gone through the drive through; but I have never actually sat in the dining area here. No matter what location, McDonald’s seems so public, too public.




I begin to focus on the sounds

The sounds of the team leader yelling, “FRY UP”, while an exhausted fryer asks, “What time is it?” Meanwhile, rhythmic chatter made up of cashiers taking orders, customers giving them, a woman sneezing, a boy coughing, talk of those protesting Starbucks, and intimate conversations that reaches my ears as diluted gibberish. My mind begins to wonder to ads and commercials I have seen with the catchy tunes and slogan: Black

History 365 days a year. It kind of makes you wonder who they are targeting…..the young black mother of four, who works for minimum wage, who is able to afford many Happy Meals as rewards to her children for good grades and behavior. Does she know that Blacks are 60% more likely to die from heart attacks and strokes, which are many times contributed to the frequent consumption of cholesterol-filled, artery-clogging Happy Meals, which are equipped with popular toys to disguise the dangers? McDonald’s a conspired ideology or just the American way, survival of the fittest, the biggest.
McDonald’s Black History 365 days a year

I guess as a black woman, I can thank McDonald’s for recognizing the many accomplishments of Blacks; likewise thanking them for convenient drive thru, low prices, and high fat content which contributes to the rise of heart disease in the black community,


your community, our community, a community that supports McDonald’s 365 days a year.